Don

Don
Kayaking on the Hudson

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Infinity 17'9" by Current Designs: Review



Infinity 17’9” by Current Designs

After paddling down the Hudson a second time, I got fed up with trying to cram 6 days’ worth of gear into my Romany.  I did some research and the kayak with the most storage volume that I could still fit in was the Infinity by Current Designs, so I bought one.   
 
My Infinity Kayak
The CD website promised that this kayak would be fast and would hold all of my gear, and they were spot on.  This kayak is a rocket.  Even though it is made for bigger paddlers and lots of gear, I still felt very comfortable in the cockpit.  It moves effortlessly through the water and just cruises with amazing speed.  You could easily fit 1-2 week’s gear in the hatches.  It is fiberglass with fiberglass bulkheads so no worry about the bulkheads leaking.  At 52 lbs. it is fairly light for its size.  
 
The Day Hatch is easily accessible on the water
 The initial stability is moderate (this is not a boat for beginners), and the secondary stability is excellent, but only when you get it down into the water.  The problem I had with it is that I only weigh 150 lbs. so it sat very high on the water, which significantly reduced the stability of the boat.  With a paddler of 180 lbs. or more this would be a sweet boat.  I had trouble edging it for turns because I was just too high out of the water.  It doesn’t have much rocker so you need to be able to edge it for turns.  

Paddling the Infinity kayak around Manhattan
 I paddled it 30+ miles around Manhattan and it performed very well in the confused seas of NY Harbor.  We got slammed with waves from every direction and the Infinity just shrugged them off.  (I put lots of gear in the boat to lower the water line a bit).  Despite the many cross-currents, wind and waves, I hardly used the skeg at all on that trip.  The Infinity tracks very well without it.  I used the skeg a few times just to see how it worked and with the skeg deployed the Infinity tracked like it was on rails.   
 
Infinity Kayak
What impresses me most about this kayak is the speed and the ease with which is just chews up the miles.  I know if I had paddled my Romany around Manhattan, I would have been exhausted.  But with the Infinity, after 30 miles, I was ready for more.  In the end, I decided to sell it because it was just a little bit too big for me.  I replaced it with a Cetus from P&H.  The Cetus sits lower in the water, but I believe the Infinity is still faster.    


Specs:
Length :


17'9"  (541.02 cm)



Form :


Fish



Width :


22"  (55.88 cm)



Depth :


13.5"  (34.29 cm)



Chine :


Soft



Hull :


Shallow Arch



Cockpit size:


31.75" x 16.5"  (80.645 cm x 41.91 cm)



Cockpit type:


Keyhole



Forward Hatch:


9.5" x 9.5"  (24.13 cm x 24.13 cm)



Day Hatch:


8" x 8"  (20.32 cm x 20.32 cm)



Rear Hatch:


16.5" x 11"  (41.91 cm x 27.94 cm)



Front Hatch Volume:


20 gal.  (76 L)



Day Hatch Volume:


13 gal.  (49.4 L)



Rear Hatch Volume:


22 gal.  (83.6 L)



Max. load*:


400 lb.  (180 kg)



Rudder/Skeg:


Skeg




Fiberglass:  52 lb.  (23.4 kg)  w/ Standard Equipment  $ 3199.00

No comments:

Post a Comment