|Practicing a bow rescue during kayak class|
A kayak lesson is just what it sounds like; you paddle around and your instructor teaches you how to kayak. When I first stated kayaking, I took a very comprehensive lesson (it went from 8am to 4pm). I learned more in one day than I had learned in two years of paddling on my own.
If you’re not sure about kayaking, then a tour is even better. With a tour you do get some very basic instruction, but instead of paddling around in circles, you get to actually go somewhere. This is what kayaking is all about.
So why am I so big on tours and lessons? Here’s why:
- You don’t need your own equipment – the outfitter provides the kayak, the paddle & the pfd.
- You know the equipment is good and everything fits, because an expert set you up with it.
- You learn from an expert.
- You get to test out equipment without buying it.
- You don’t have to worry because the outfitter has done all of the planning and will keep you safe.
See you on the water,